I know this sounds like a Victim rather than an Owner, but I can't help it:
It's happening again!
Out of the blue, I started noticing that the Number 7 is still trying to send me some sort of a message, even if just to let me know that he/she is still there. Or maybe that message is to quit worrying about the Number 7, or maybe to start worrying about some other number for a while.
I'm not sure what to think but, I'm sorry, I can't just walk away when so little is at stake. Wait a minute, what is at stake? Nothing you say? Well it's too late, I'm rollin'. Take a look at these nuggets of weirdness:
A. My new employee number at LSI is 07-248-70
7 = 7
2+4+8 = 14
7 = 7
Surely you remember the numerological anomaly that started all of this silliness….remember that date of significance that we have been celebrating for, what, 3 weeks now…..you know, my birthday? Surely you remember that now-monumental discovery....no? Well, let me remind you, my birthday is July 16, 1952, so…..
07 - 16 (=7) - 52 (=7).
What? You don’t find it a little bit weird that my birthday is, in effect, 7-7-7 and my employee number is 7-14-7? You're okay with that? Well how about the fact that L-S-I-C-o-r-p is 7 letters? Contrived, you say? Because LSI Corporation is...wait a minute.....L-S-I-C-o-r-p-o-r-a-t-i-o-n is.....14 letters. The more curious types will Google and find that the company used to be called LSI Logic, Inc. Well even that is 14 characters is you include the punctuation and spaces! There is no escape! Let's go to the next item:
B. My new phone number: 446-1704
4+4+6 = 14
C. Minutes working on this email:
7 minutes, 7 seconds
Okay, this is completely bogus, but I can't carry the conversation by myself forever, now can I!
Again I ask: don't you find this to be a wee bit disturbing? Has Mr. Just-Turned-Fifty-Six (21 characters [include the punctuation, silly] ÷ 3 = 7) become afflicted with the dreaded Obsessed with Seven Syndrome (28 ÷ 4 = 7). Say, did you notice, right off the bat, that the number of characters in this newly discovered medical condition is divisible by 7? Of course you didn't. That’s my job!
But as obtuse as I can be, even I am getting the feeling that I am going overboard with this notion of numerical intrusion. Maybe I am losing my mind. But the fact is that I continue to notice these coincidences - and I’m not looking that hard for them, at least not too hard from a Linus-is-the-one-looking perspective. I see numbers, I do the math and voilĂ , a link with the Number 7 emerges!
Some might say “this is just accidental or coincidental.” Well, I take that a little personally because it may very well be that I am the product of an accidental coincidence. I mean, is it a stretch to imagine that there were perhaps several, if not millions, of superior - and no doubt more stable - sperm-egg combinations available at the moment of conception than the obviously contorted chromosomal braids that eventually turned into 'me?' So why is it, or how is it, that I emerged (couldn't resist the pun, sorry)victorious? See what I mean (if you do, please explain it to me some time)?
But while I don’t pretend to know the answers to every deep question, it is nice to know that I have actually finished first at something (I'm thinking that "I" is what I called myself when I was a sperm [I can't ever, ever, see myself saying "I" as an egg. But referring to myself as "I" while still a sperm? I can live with that. It's, you know, a male thing....]).
So, I repeat, it is kind of nice to know that I finished first at something now that the month-long celebration of my birthday has concluded. And now, armed with that life-affirming assurance, I have begun my quest to find the next great thing to talk about....and try, I will. But I am fearful that the narrative of my life will lack the necessary pizzazz to be worthy of conversation (or is it 'blog-versation') if I let this Number 7 thing die out, so maybe I just need to find a new angle for this subject matter. And if this is any comfort to you, even I have reached the point where if I read the words 'sperm' or even 'egg' one more time in this blog entry I am going to be grossed out of my gourd.
So I'll work at it, and if I can come up with something better to talk about I’ll let most, if not all of you, know. I'd like to say 'all of you' but I can’t be tying myself down to such precise commitments; I’m still fighting the very battle with inconsistency that I spoke of in an earlier blog. So I’ll commit to letting most, if not all, of you know if I come up with something better. That's the best I can commit to.
As if anyone actually cares about my pitiful little life.

3 comments:
My Dad's a sperm.
BTW, good post!
Technically, Les, YOU'RE the sperm....lol. And Greg, all 7 of my new family members care about your pitiful life....njctkzzi
Post a Comment